18 March 2015

My Crazy Smart Daughter

Let me just start with the fact when I was pregnant and reading various baby websites, everyone referred to their children as their DD or DS and it took me a while before I figured out what the heck they were saying. Personally, I am happy that my daughter is not darling (and who uses that word these days anyway?!), but rather creative, silly, funny, and really, really smart!

You might not be able to tell the smart part from her New Year's Eve picture this year, but I bet you can get the silly and creative part...


About two weeks ago my very smart daughter started making up a language and writing her own dictionary. She organized everything alphabetically in her "Salakee" (dictionary) and has about a dozen pages of words and phrases. Did I mention she's a Montessori kid? Yes, this is one more reason I quit my academic life and am now running a school. My children are actually important to me and not just in words, in actions and deeds. 

While I was very intrigued at the fact that she was making up a language and writing a dictionary, the hard cold reality of just how much work that was set in pretty quickly. She's obsessed with new language. She spoke it all day last Saturday and Sunday. She tried to teach the dogs the language. And she tried to teach her brother and me the language. 

The slightly annoying part of this particular made-up language is that every word is at least 3 syllables and some are even 5 or 6. When I suggested she come up with some 1 syllable words that might be easier to remember, she replied, "Jaracka" (which means "no"). So if you're looking for a new hobby, learn a language. Might I suggest Larequeesha? I know where you can get a good deal on a translating dictionary!


Spread Your Wings!


No comments:

Post a Comment