15 February 2015

Coping with Aging Parents

I left the academic life five years ago and have not regretted one minute since then. Everything has changed, some for the better, some not. In August 2014, my parents moved from West Chester, Ohio to Homestead, where I live. They wanted to be near to my kids and me and to help us through a rough patch during the divorce time.

Their transition has been a very rough one—for all of us.  The things I thought would be difficult (e.g. moving to a predominantly Spanish-speaking area), aren't the issue. It's been little things like remembering to pay the bills, learning the cable TV channels in Miami, and finding restaurants they like. I keep hoping that little by little they will adapt, but so far they haven't.

When they first moved, they spent about 6 weeks with us, living in the guest house. Even then, I had an inkling this wasn't going to be as easy as I thought it might be. I'll leave it at that and try to write bits and piece over the next few weeks.

The main thing I would like to leave you all with is that had I not been prepared by Al-Anon to not accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference, I do not think I would have been able to continue to help my parents, despite the daily (sometimes hourly) frustrations...



Spread Your Wings!

No comments:

Post a Comment