26 May 2010

Enough about you, now let's talk about me

So those of you who know me know I'm just being funny with the title of today's entry. But since today is my last full day of work at FIU, I thought I'd take this minute to write a little bit about where I'm coming from in my decision to leave the well-protected nest of academia and take the long leap off the cliff into the vast unknown.


Over the next few days there will be a lot of closure in my life. Skip ahead if you get bored--I won't be offended (nor will I even know  :)  ).

I was born in Kentucky, raised in Indiana, and lived in Illinois...oh wait, that was Lincoln, not me... Seriously, I was born in NJ, but lived in Southwestern Ohio (West Chester specifically) my whole childhood. I started on piano in second grade, and was a band geek (flute) by 5th grade. All things musical were of interest--marching band, the pit orchestra of the spring musical, band, choir (although I'm a terrible singer), etc. Graduated from high school and went to Miami University (that's not the U for those of you in South Florida), which was only an hour away from my parents' house. 

At that point in time I really wanted to be a high school marching band director, but the trouble was, there weren't any female marching band directors in the area at that time. So I figured I'd go to graduate school to make myself my marketable. I was offered a full ride to the University of Denver to study music theory (my favorite subject as an undergrad) and composition (which was frankly a little scary for me at that time). One day into graduate school and I decided to never look back. It was awesome--I experimenting with creating music, getting to teach undergrad students, and having a ball. After the master's degree, I headed to FSU for one year. It was a diseaster--I couldn't stand the city. I looked for a school where I could learn about computers and music, still a relatively unknown course of study in 1990. I wound up on full scholarship at Ball State University (IN). Had a great time there, learned a lot, and graduated in 1994.

Before graduating, I was hired at my first full-time professor gig at the Oberlin Conservatory (OH). Stayed there three years before I left to go teach at Dartmouth College (NH) for a one-year visiting line. That's where I met Colby, who was a graduate student in the computer music program at the time. No, he wasn't a student! That's always the first question everyone asks. Rather, he was a graduate student who had forgotten to eat for three days (and yes, I also cannot believe that anyone in their right mind could actually forget to eat for three days, but that's his story...). He was one of three pathetic graduate students who didn't really know how to cook. So every Sunday night I would send them a grocery list, they would buy everything, bring it to my house, I'd cook for them, and we'd all watch X-Files and the Simpsons. It was a great time! And over the course of a few months we all got to be very good friends. 

I was then offered a visiting position at FIU to teach computer music and composition. 

My son Liam was born in 2001, and we were extremely fortunate that the University of Miami happened to have a position open in Music Engineering that spring. my husband applied, happened to land an interview, and was then offered the job. It's seriously crazy to think that we were able to both have full-time professorships in the same city. Many of our friends in similar areas either work in different states, 1 works while the spouse doesn't, 1 works while the spouse has a part-time gig, etc. So we know how incredibly blessed we are to have both found positions within a short commute.

In 2002 we moved to Homestead. As you can probably guess, I have moved around a lot--8 moves in 13 years. So now that we've been in Homestead for the past 8 years, we have really put down roots. Our daughter Livya was born in 2005. Our current house is the only one she's known, and I hope it's the only one she ever knows for a very long time. Liam also was so young, that this is really the only home he remembers. 

There are obviously a lot of details I've left out, and sometime over a glass of wine, I'll be happy to tell you about things like why we own so many crazy animals, my bio dad, my parents and brother, my wicked cool MG that Colby promises me I can drive to work everyday in my new job, etc. But for now, I'll leave my story at this.

My family, friends, home, and community mean everything to me. So when I started to see the strife and stress going on in our lives, I felt I need to do something to help. I tried running to a new position at some other college in some other state. But the more Colby and I tried to convince ourselves that a move like that would be positive, the more we realized that we really do love our lives. So why not stay and make things better? It doesn't take any thought to run to another place, but I believe strongly in taking a stand and fixing what is perceived as being broken. And that's what I am doing.

This is not the end, but rather a beautiful beginning to what I hope is a very long story.

Spread your wings!

5 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you Kris. You will do just fine, You have a good heart and good intentions. I can't believe you thaught at Dartmouth. Super cool, any way. Your love story is awesome, as you can see I am no professor. HAHAHAH. But I Do love you guys and have the upmost respect for both of you and Proud to be your friend. Good luck my dear and amazing friend Kris. Don't forget I will be your biggest cheerleader when you need me there. I am having a cheerleader uniform made with the school colors as soon as you tell me what colors they are.

    Your love story with Colby is beutiful and you where both meant to be with each other. I hope he knows how to cook a few things by now. Love you both.
    SN
    PS: Having a glass of wine in your honor. Besos. GIVE ME AN A GIVE ME A T GIVE AN A GIVE ME AN L WHAT DOES THAT SPELL.
    ATALA,HURRAY FOR ATALA, ATALA NUMBER 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many, many thanks, Sandra! I love having my own personal cheerleader in Homestead!

    Love,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great to just take responsibility and get what we want to happen done? I think it's awesome everyone just said "Ok, this is not going to work. Let's try a few things and if that doesn't work, we'll just do our own thing." So glad you took the ball and ran with it. Everything's gonna be great! Love to you and Colby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris, that was so cute Thanks for the insight! U are a super cool, driven and dedicated chick! Always glad to be in your company!
    Let me know what the colors are- if you have that already- I will start making all kinds of school stuff jewelry wise for you guys! ♥ Keep up the great work, and let me know - anything you need, I am a call away! -305/247-5012 at work, 305/245-6630

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the story! Will take you up on that glass of wine to always hear more. Those wings are shaping up to have quite a span. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete