05 January 2013

Keeping my resolution

Day 2 of keeping my New Year's resolution to write here everyday. If you happened to find me and read some of my older posts, you'll quickly learn that I used to be a music professor. I worked in an academic setting for 18 years before giving up tenure, a six-figure income, and what most people would consider a "cushy" job to launch a school along with four friends of mine, all of whom have taught my two kids.

This year has been a success for the school on so many counts. Most of all, we are financially stable, everyone is receiving a salary every month (that didn't happen the first and second years—we, the owners, went without pay or half pay for several months), and we have two different groups of people seeking to "help" us by either renting custom-designed spaces to us or by finding and identifying property and financing that might be available to us. We have some important decisions to make in the next few months. Everything is very exciting and moving full steam ahead.

I am gearing up to teach sound recording and editing to my middle school students. I used to teach this to college students, but technology is moving so quickly that what seemed difficult to learn 20 years ago is now passé to children in the 10-12 year old range. They have grown up with iPads, iPods, and iPhones thanks to their parents wanting a silent vacation trip. These kids know how to download apps without thinking twice about it. It's really quite amazing and I am definitely looking forward to working with the class on more advanced techniques not available through free apps on an iPhone.

That's it for today. I'll try to keep things more interesting in the future, but right now I'm just getting back in the swing of things.

Spread Your Wings!

No comments:

Post a Comment